We have heard many interesting facts about Basketball because, basketball is one of the most played sports of the world. Basketball is not a easy game to play, it requires endurance, great skills and team spirit to defeat the opponent. We have gathered list of some interesting facts about basketball.
1. History of Basketball
- Basketball was invented in 1891 by Jim Naismith. This game is played with a ball and a hoop. A team consists of five players each.
- Before 1929 Basketball was played by using soccer ball. Now China is the biggest manufacturer of basketball. Adidas manufactures all the NBA uniforms.
- This sports has a very long history but according to our resources, first Basketball game was first played on December 21, 1891 between Bearcats and Bradley braves. The game was continued for 75 minutes and Bearcats won the game.
Aren’t they interesting facts about Basketball?
2. What is Slam Dunk?
- When a player of any team shoots the ball into the basket, a goal is scored. But among all the facts about basketball, the most famous scoring point of this game is “slam dunk”, once in its was banned by the game official for almost 9 years.
3. Who is the shortest Basketball Player?
Among many interesting facts about basketball the most interesting fact about basketball is that “Muggsy Bogues” who’s height is 5ft 3inch is the shortest player since now. He played for several times in his career but he played his last match for “Toronto raptors” and has last official seen on court as the coach of “United Faith Christian Academy”.
4. Who is the Tallest basketball Player?
This is also among the intersting facts about basketball, that “Gheorghe Muresan” who’s height is 7ft 7 inch is the tallest players in the history of this game. He played for several times in his career but he played his last match for “New Jersey Nets”.
5. What is the Dimension of Basket and Basketball court?
The steel rim of the basket has a diameter of 18 inches and is 10 feet high.
A court is 91.86ft long and 49.21ft wide. The total playing area for a court is 4520.43 ft² and 7290.5ft² if run-offs and sidelines are required. The total area is equally divided into two part.
6. Who is the famous Basketball Player?
Michael Jordan is one of the most famous person of this sports. He has scored more playoff points than anyone else in the professional games.
7. Position of Players in Basketball Court
The positions of players in the game are as follows: Point guard, Shooting guard, Small forward, Power forward, Center and Center defender.
8. NBA and BAA History
The highest-scoring game in NBA history of as played between Pistons and Nuggets on December 13, 1983. Pistons won this historic game.
- Air Jordan 1 shoes were banned in the NBA. Micheal Jordan was finned for using his own brand of shoes in NBA official game.
- The NBA and the BAA were two different basketball associations in 1949. The 1948-49 was the third and the final session of Basketball association of America (BAA).
9. Who is the youngest player of Basketball?
There were and are many star player in this game, but “Kobe Bryant” was the youngest player to start an NBA game. He was just 17 year old when he entered in NBA game. Bryant was a legend of the game, he died and unfortunate death in black year of history 2020.
10. Basketball in Olympic
- At the Games in 1936 in Berlin, basketball joined the Olympic programme, where it has remained to this day. Women’s debuted at the 1976 Games in Montreal.
- Jeremy Lin held the record of the high points scored in their first 3 games. He plays for Santa Cruz Warriors.
11. World record in Basketball
The world record for the highest basketball shot is 660 feet high and was achieved by Derek Herron on 13th January 2018. He came from a very poor background.
12. Who is First female Basketball Player?
Lynette Woodward was the first female Globetrotter basketball team player. This not only comes under facts about basketball in fact it’s an achievement for women empowerment.
13. Important terms in Basketball
Like other sports this game also have foul. If any player of a team do anything like shouldering, holding, pushing, tripping or otherwise striking an opponent is considered as foul and other team will get advantage. However, such offenses were never considered fouls until 1910, but after an incident happened in an ongoing match officials introduced them as foul.
Facts about basketball are infinite. Here we just take very few. Keep on reading and enhance your knowledege
Also Read: http://www.espn.in