How the name ‘ASPRIN’ was given to “ASPRIN”
Salicylic acid is one of the oldest known drugs, found in willow bark. In 1897, a scientist named Felix Hoffmann working at a company in Germany found that salicylic acid produced a more potent drug as antipyretic and analgesic. They called it ASPRIN -‘A’ for acetyl, ‘SPIR’ for the spiraea flower which is also a good source of salicylic acid, and “IN” was used as a common ending for drugs at that time. It soo. Became the world’s best-selling drug. But it’s the mode of action was discovered in 1971 as anti-inflammatory and antipyretic ( fever-reducing) .
MODE OF ACTION OF ASPIRIN:-
It is a broad-spectrum medicine. Aspirin shows three mode of action. It uncouples oxidative phosphorylation in cartilaginous (and hepatic) mitochondria, by diffusing from the intermembrane space as a proton carrier back into the mitochondrial matrix, where it ionizes once again to release protons. In short, aspirin buffers and transports the protons, acting as a competitor to ATP synthase.
A PART OF OUR DAILY LIFE:-
- It is an everyday painkiller for aches and pains such as headache, toothache and period pain
- Do you know it lowers the risk of heart attack! Aspirin reduces the clumping of platelets in blood vessels which is the main cause of heart attack.
DOSAGES OF ASPIRIN
It founds in following strengths:
800 mg; 500 mg; 325 mg; 81 mg; buffered 500 mg; buffered 325 mg; buffered 81 mg; 975 mg; 650 mg; 125 mg; 600 mg; 60 mg; 300 mg; 162 mg; 1 g; 81 mg with phytosterols; 227.5 mg; 1200 mg; 162.5 mg.
According to the disease the doses of tablet varies. For example in Rheumatoid Arthritis 3g of dose is taken in different slots.
RISKS OF ASPIRIN
- But there are many risks related to aspirin such as Reye’s syndrome in children, a rare disorder seen in children characterized by sudden brain damage and liver problems.symptoms are vomiting, headache, etc.
- In pregnancy, it should not be taken in the first trimester because it affects the blood clotting which increases the risk of bleeding in mother or fetus. IT is not normally recommended during breastfeeding. For most women, it’s better to take paracetamol or ibuprofen to control pain or fever while you’re breastfeeding.
- Aspirin can cause tinnitus which is a disorder of hearing Tinnitus is quite common and many people also experience it without any noticeable cause. In a quiet room, this ringing sound appears more powerful. Sometimes you may experience pulsatile tinnitus, it’s intermittent sound that occurs in tune with heart. There are various causes of tinnitus or ringing sound.
PRECAUTIONS WHILE TAKING ASPRIN
- Avoid drinking alcohol while you are taking it. Heavy drinking can increase your risk of stomach bleeding.
- It’s safe to take it with paracetamol or codeine. But do not take it with ibuprofen or naproxen without talking to a doctor. Aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen belong to the same group of medicines called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). If you take them together, aspirin plus ibuprofen or naproxen may increase the chance of you getting side effects like a stomach ache.
DERIVATIVE OF ASPIRIN:-
Do you know it has many derivatives? Aspirin and salicylates have been reported to have a wide range of drug interactions but only relatively few seem to be clinically important. Many of the interactions are pharmacokinetic in nature. Drugs considered to produce the most significant interactions with salicylates include anticoagulants and thrombolytic agents, uricosuric agents, corticosteroids, and sulphonylurea hypoglycaemic agents.
So whenever you take it or your dearest person take this keep in mind what you are taking or what are it’s effects and side effects. Stay healthy!!
also read: https://factstunnel.org/corona-analysis/
Stay updated with the Corona Virus Situation at https://kironavirus.com